Tuesday, March 8, 2016

I'm Still Minding the Fucking Gap


Wage inequality has just increased, according to a recent article by Forbes. They report the findings of The Institute for women's Policy Research, which tell us that
Controlling for inflation, women’s earnings increased by 0.9 percent, while men’s earnings increased by 2.6 percent since 2014.

When I was in college, my sociology teacher told us that one reason for this was that women don't usually negotiate their salaries. Well, I'd be damned if that was going to be me! Fast forward a decade or so and you'd find me ankle deep in confusing stacks of full-time, tenure-track teaching new-hire paperwork. I was already intimidated. In the teaching world, there is a chart: X degree + X number years experience = X salary. My professor had mentioned this too as one of the reasons women don't think they can, and therefore don't, negotiate.


Despite ALL of this, I thought I should check and be sure. I asked a fellow teacher at a different college and was told that some unions allow and some don't allow negotiation. I asked my union representative via email if I was allowed to negotiate for my salary. His response was not a simple "yes" or "no," but (are you ready for this...sitting down?) "Why would you negotiate?" Emails were exchanged where I tried to state my case for earning more (moving to a much more expensive area, beating over 200 other candidates, publications... "None of these," my union representative said, "would be convincing to the administration." I was defeated. If I couldn't even get the support of my union, I wasn't about to try with my new employer.

When I sat down to sign my formal contract next to my salary it said "or as negotiated." I could have cried right there in the office. Instead, I signed and have held a resentment for that dope of a union rep. ever since.

BUT, I want this to be INSTRUCTIVE for others who have yet to negotiate at that first "real job" or any job. Here's what I learned:

1) You don't have to ask if you can negotiate. JUST NEGOTIATE. It's always negotiable.
2) Ask someone for help with negotiating. My husband had negotiated his salary several times, but not once did I ask his advice. I thought I had to do it all on my own. BIG mistake!
3) It ain't over until you sign that contract. I could have told the HR person that I actually wanted to speak to X about my salary. I didn't have to sign it right then.
4) Believe in what you're worth. Then, ask for it. Men do, and that's part of why they get more money than us.

Insurgents, what advice would you give a young woman about to negotiate her salary for the first time?


P.S. I forgot to put in my original posting that taking my own advice above, I successfully negotiated my salary at my next job!

P.P.S. Here is a helpful article for current job-seekers/ interviewers: "Get the Salary You Deserve: 4 Steps to Figuring out What You're Really Worth."

And another one on Equal Pay Day (and why we still need it)

No comments:

Post a Comment