Thursday, May 13, 2010

Muliebrity


Alright, kids! Are you ready for the word of the day? Say it with me: "Muliebrity" (myoo-lee-EB-ri-tee, noun). Dictionary.com defines it as "The state of being a woman." Intriguing, no? But the following example of the word in action is even more so:

"She was one of those women who was waiting in--what is the word?--muliebrity; she had courage and initiative and a philosophical way of handling questions, and she could be bored by regular work like a man." --H.G. Wells, The New Machiavelli

What does "muliebrity" mean to you? Define it in one sentence by commenting on this posting.

5 comments:

  1. Ok, I'll start us off: It's a sad and beautiful world. (I just won't feel right if I don't admit that this is a quote from Jim Jarmusch's film, Down by Law, but I think this sentence pretty much describes what muliebrity is to me.)

    Thanks for the message Alena; write us a sentence :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beneath career, faith and all other roles lies muliebrity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what "anonymous" had to say. It says a lot in few words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I looked at my curves to ask if this was so, they replied it was all in my head.


    I think womanhood, womanliness, ect., is a state of mind more than anything else. That's what I'm saying, in case that didn't make sense. I more than fully embrace my trans sisters, and feel that I may not always have been a woman. Perhaps I should work on that essay or poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE it! I agree that muliebrity, and gender in general, is definitely a state of mind, as our transgendered friends remind us. The poet Joy Ladin had a wonderful series of poems and then an essay about her poems in the November/December 2009 issue of the American Poetry Review. What she had to say about being a woman and the state of mind it entails and how it is connected to language, blew my mind! You can read one of the poems here https://www.aprweb.org/poem/new-year-new-body but you need to buy the rag for the essay, which is worth the %4.25 I promise!

    And yes, go write a poem and an essay and a short story and conduct an interview...

    ReplyDelete