Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Top 10 Jobs According to Comcast

Let's play a game! It's called "Which gender best represents the top 10 jobs according to Comcast?"

Here's how it works: First, click on the link below (or click on the title of this posting); then as you scroll through the top 10 jobs, guess which gender represents each job.


When I played, I guessed correctly 100% of the time! This, unfortunately, means that the majority of the best jobs are filled by men (they seem to be especially adept at technology and leadership), and the few instances of women filling the best positions involve some kind of nurturing, care-taking role (but certainly not as doctors!).

I know I was often told by teachers and family members that I, as a female, should focus on English and stay away from math and science (technology had only come as far as "Oregon Trail"). And I also know that there are people who scoff at the idea that our society plays any part in the male-dominated technological and scientific fields. But there have been serious efforts lately to attract more females into these male-dominated fields as early as junior high school, suggesting that there is a general acknowledgment of society's influence on females' career choices. But Comcast's slideshow seems to be undermining these efforts and instead promoting the old "Women as Nurturers / Men as high-powered corporate executives" model.

Side note: How can they say that being a college professor is one of the best jobs right now? Furloughs, long hours, increasing expectations to both teach and publish, and diminishing funds for such basic supplies as paper--how is this job in the top 10?


2 comments:

  1. GAH. Did they purposefully pick the worst stock photos they could find?

    I like your assessment, but have to wonder if Comcast is a remotely credible information provider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yes, point taken. And speaking of stock photos, that reminds me of when I tried to find some clip art for a handout I was creating for an organizational communication class I used to teach: Not a single work-related image of a female... Very annoying when I had an all-female class!

    ReplyDelete